Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Money

I had a thought yesterday. 

What relationship does US currency have to what’s in my pocket?  What’s in my pocket? A debit card & a $10 bill. The $10 I’ve set aside as I don’t have a use for it. I know! I’ll go to a gentleman’s club & use it for stuffing!!! Yes, Virginia, there’s still a cash economy out there!

I haven’t handled physical money in more than ten years. I run a mail order business. 98% of my income comes as 16 digit numbers with expiration dates. 100% of my expenses are checks or debit card transactions.

How would gold relate to this? Except as a token, or as barter, I can’t see that it can.

All my money is digital. Why not simply admit the banks are coining digital money & then pass a Constitutional Amendment relegating that power exclusively to the government?

In olden times governments made as many coins as they had physical stocks of gold & silver to make them with. But that hasn’t been true in the US since at least the Civil War.

What am I missing here?

No comments:

Post a Comment